"History is a nightmare from which I am trying to awake."

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

John Carter of Mars



I remember reading these novels by Edgar Rice Burroughs during my teen years and being enthralled by the fictional Martian world they portrayed. My budding sexuality was stimulated by the descriptions of John Carter's magnificent physique and the nudity on display among the Martian people (never mind that the big romance was with the beauteous Dejah Thoris - the hidden subtext was quite homoerotic - LOL). Burroughs is, of course, better known for the creation of Tarzan, but to my mind, the Mars novels are more interesting and entertaining. I can also partly ascribe my lifelong love of science fiction to these books (also my obsession with reading - although that started earlier).

Imagine my joy when I heard that these great stories are being filmed! They see tailor-made for the big screen, as they are quite cinematic. Of course, the images and adaptations of our favorite books rarely meet our imagined worlds, but I'm still looking forward to seeing they measure up. Here's the teaser trailer, and, though it doesn't match what I'm carrying around in my mind (no nudity, for instance - big surprise), it looks intriguing...



Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment