"History is a nightmare from which I am trying to awake."

Friday, August 5, 2011

Monkey Business

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm getting heartily sick of the bad news coming out of our dysfunctional government and economy (and wingnut repubs) - too much bad news and speculation doesn't make for much serenity. One can, indeed, be overwhelmed by the media's obsession with selling itself through emphasizing bad news. Thus, I am taking a break, and shifting my attention to some fun stuff, like the following:
Yes, I know: another retread from a Hollywood bereft of ideas. However, this is getting great reviews (an 80 on Rotten Tomatoes.com and a good review from the L.A. Times' Kenneth Turan), and the effects look interesting. And, as with all great SciFi, important issues can be examined in an imaginative way (treatment of animals, drug experimentation, enhanced intelligence drugs and genetic manipulation, etc.). Plus, another Andy Serkis CGI performance...
Given the record of humanity, maybe it's time to give the simians a chance! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment