"History is a nightmare from which I am trying to awake."

Monday, August 29, 2011

Zen Buddhism Temple

I've been thinking of checking out places to attend Zen meditation services. Of course, Los Angeles is a great place for this as it is very large and diverse. I used to attend the Zen Center of Los Angeles, but it's so far away, it doesn't seem practical now (also, it's services are at 7 am on Saturdays, hard for me with my weekend work schedule). However, I've found another center on-line: Zenshuji Soto Mission in Little Tokyo. They have Monday evening zazen (sitting mediation) and services starting at 6:30. This might be an option, at least to visit.There's also a monastery right down the street from me that has services Sunday mornings at 10:30. Although not a Zen center (it is Taiwanese in origin), they still practice meditation.

Perhaps, the important thing is not the place or type of zazen, but the intention and the effort put into practice. Mindfulness can be practices everywhere, after all. But, since the time of Buddha, people have come together for meditation and study, and it is good to have the help and support of others in one's practice, whether in Zen or other venues.



No comments:

Post a Comment